Bob Parsons: Go Daddy Founder & Executive Chairman
Parsons joined the U.S. Marine Corps during the Vietnam War and received the Combat Action Ribbon, Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry and a Purple Heart Medal. Upon his return, Parsons enrolled in the University of Baltimore where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting. He is a Certified Public Accountant.
A serial entrepreneur, Parsons' first endeavor was Parsons Technology,
a software company he started in his basement in 1984, after teaching himself how to write computer programs. After creating the company's initial software, MoneyCounts and Personal Tax Edge, Parsons used direct mail marketing to sell these and subsequent products.
When Parsons Technology was sold to Intuit, Inc. in 1994 for $64 million dollars, the company had nearly 1,000 employees, $100 million in annual revenue and three million customers. At the time, Parsons Technology sold more than 100 products, was releasing a new product or significant product upgrade every six days, and was sending more than six million pieces of direct marketing mail each month.
In 1997, Parsons started Jomax Technologies,
using funds from the sale of Parsons Technology. He renamed the company Go Daddy in 1999, and in 2000, Go Daddy became an ICANN-accredited domain name registrar.
Today, the Go Daddy family of companies is comprised of three ICANN-accredited domain name registrars, including flagship registrar GoDaddy.com and Wild West Domains, LLC, as well as Starfield Technologies, LLC, its technology development arm.
The Go Daddy way...
Throughout his entrepreneurial career, Parsons' business philosophy has been to create low-priced, feature-rich products combined with the highest levels of customer service.
This philosophy has fueled Go Daddy's growth, leading it to become the No. 1 domain name registrar worldwide, both in terms of new registrations and domains under management. Go Daddy currently registers, renews or transfers a domain name more than every second of every day, has more than 9.5 million customers worldwide, manages more than 49 million domain names and employs more than 3,300 people. Go Daddy is also the largest Web hosting provider in the world with more than 5 million active hosting accounts. Most of the applications sold by Go Daddy are developed in-house and all of Go Daddy's legendary customer care centers are all located in the United States.
Parsons has driven the expansion of Go Daddy's core business beyond domain names, to include website hosting, secure SSL certificates and email accounts. Go Daddy is a one-stop shop for domain names, websites and everything* in between.
- Parsons is an award-winning business leader. In March 2011, Parsons received the Celebrity Fight Night Muhammad Ali Entrepreneur Award. In April 2010, his alma mater honored him as The University of Baltimore Distinguished Entrepreneur. Parsons was also presented with an honorary doctorate in Humane Letters by UB in 2008 and selected as the Arizona Business Leader of the Year in 2007.
- Go Daddy has been named "Best Registrar" by DomainNameWire.com, a domain name industry news source for five consecutive years (2005 - 2010.) For seven consecutive years, Go Daddy has also ranked as one of the top employers in the Phoenix-metro area by The Phoenix Business Journal's "Best Places to Work in the Valley" employee survey. Go Daddy was honored as the AZCentral.com "Best Perks" Employer in 2009 and 2010.
- Go Daddy received several 2007 Arizona Corporate Excellence (ACE) Awards, including the prestigious distinction as the state's "Most Innovative Company." Go Daddy also ranked number 2 on the ACE "25 Fastest-Growing" companies list and number 20 on the ACE "Top 50" companies list.
- Parsons' personal video web blog, www.BobParsons.me ranks in the top 1% of most visited blogs on the Internet, out of 100 million+ blogs worldwide. His "16 Rules for Success in Business and Life in General" are the basis for his own success and often adopted by people who hear them.
Parsons is active with social media and uses @DrBobParsons on Twitter.
Awards & Honors
Throughout Bob's entrepreneurial career, he's been honored for his achievements in business and philanthropy.
Go Daddy Awards
- Inc. 500/5000, 2004 - 2011 For an eighth consecutive year, The Go Daddy Group, Inc. is listed on Inc. magazine's "Inc. 500/5000" list. The list is comprised of the nation's fastest-growing privately held companies.
- SC Magazine Awards 2011: Best Security Team Go Daddy was honored as the 2011 Best Security Team by SC Magazine. The SC Magazine Awards were organized to honor the professionals, companies and products that help fend off the myriad of security threats confronted in today's corporate world.
- 2011 CIO of the Year Award, Arizona Technology Council Go Daddy Chief Information Officer, Neil Warner received the 2011 Arizona Technology Council's CIO of the Year award for large companies. The CIO of the Year Awards honors Arizona CIOs who have accomplished outstanding achievements and innovations within their company.
- 2011 Bulby Award Winner, .CO S.A.S. 2011 Go Daddy's X.CO received the first ever Bulby Award at the Inaugural Bulby Awards for Best Use of a Single Letter Domain. The Bulby Awards honor innovators in the .CO global community. The winners were selected by vote. Go Daddy's innovation, X.CO, is known as one of the shortest URL Shorteners available.
- 2011 & 2010 Finalist, Better Business Bureau of Greater Arizona Business Ethics Awards For the second year in a row, Go Daddy ranked as one of three finalists in the BBB of Great Arizona Business Ethics Awards. BBB's Board of Directors and Foundation established the BBB Business Ethics Awards to recognize those firms whose business practices and related activities exemplify the BBB's mission and principles, and to ensure the marketplace remains fair and honorable.
- NetApp 2011 Innovation Awards: Innovator of the Year Go Daddy is NetApp's 2011 Innovator of the Year (Americas category). The NetApp Innovation Awards recognize the companies and the people who are aggressively and innovatively leveraging technology to make IT dramatically more proactive, productive and essential to creating business value.
- 2011 & 2009 Best of the Best Award - Manufacturing & Technology Go Daddy has again been named the "Best of the Best" technology company by Ranking Arizona in the Manufacturing and Technology category. Winners are selected by other top-ranked businesses, a voting group comprised of 175 of Arizona's No. 1 companies.
- 2011 Arizona Corporate Excellence (ACE) AwardsGo Daddy is once again honored on the ACE awards lists, making this six out of the last seven years. Go Daddy ranked #8 on the Top 50 private companies list and ranked #10 for the Fastest-Growing Private Companies.
- 2011 Top 25 Workplaces for Women in ArizonaGo Daddy received an honorable mention from BestCompaniesAZ for its annual "Top 25 Workplaces for Women in Arizona." The award honors companies in Arizona who have helped set the standard for women initiatives in the workplace.
- The Valley's Healthiest Employers Awards 2011Go Daddy ranked on the 1st-ever list honoring the Valley's Healthiest Employers. Go Daddy was recognized for innovative strategies in keeping its workforce healthy.
- Domain Pioneer Award - 25th Anniversary of .com Go Daddy, the leader in domain name registration, now holds the honor of "Domain Pioneer." The award came during the 25th Anniversary of .com Gala. The presenters acknowledged Go Daddy for its integral role in shaping the .com domain and providing .com domain names to millions of registrants worldwide.
- 2010 Winner - Hottest Southwest Companies List Go Daddy's explosive growth has earned it the "Hottest Southwest Companies" award from Lead411.
- 2010 AZCentral.com's Best Awards The readers have spoken again, voting Go Daddy as a winner in the Best Employer and Best Employee Perks categories.
- Advertising Age - Best Places to Work in Marketing & Media 2010 Advertising Age's inaugural Best Places to Work list is a celebration of employers in the marketing, media and advertising industry that have created environments in which people love to work and contribute their best ideas.
- 2010 Best Linux-Friendly Web Hosting Company Go Daddy is Linux Journal's 2010 Readers' Choice winner for the Best Linux-Friendly Web Hosting Company. The awards are voted on by more than 12,000 Linux Journal readers yearly.
- Domain Name Wire - Best Registrar Award - 2009 Go Daddy is voted "Best Registrar" in the 2009 Domain Name Wire annual survey for the 4th consecutive year. According to the survey results, Go Daddy is popular amongst all types of domain owners.
- "Best Places to Work in the Valley" 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 For the fifth consecutive year, Go Daddy is ranked as one of the Valley's Best Places to Work. The award recognizes top employers in the Phoenix-metro area. These results are based 100% on employee surveys.
- Inc. 5000, 2004 - 2008 For a fifth consecutive year, The Go Daddy Group, Inc. is listed on Inc. magazine's "Inc. 5000" list. This year, Go Daddy is ranked fifth fastest-growing company (with more than 2,000 employees). The list is comprised of the nation's fastest-growing privately held companies.
- 2008 Honorable Mention, Alfred P. Sloan AwardThe Alfred P. Sloan Awards for Business Excellence in Workplace Flexibility are part of When Work Works, a national project on workplace effectiveness and workplace flexibility. This is the second time Go Daddy has been honored with this prestigious award.
- Linux Journal - Favorite Linux -Friendly Web Hosting Company - 2008Linux Journal Magazine readers voted GoDaddy.com as their "Favorite Linux-Friendly Web Hosting Company."
- Domain Name Wire - Best Registrar Award - 2008 Go Daddy is voted "Best Registrar" in the 2008 Domain Name Wire annual survey for the 3rd consecutive year. This time, Go Daddy earned more than half the votes.
- Domainers Choice Award for Best Hosting Company - 2008 Domainers Choice Awards recognized Go Daddy as the "Best Hosting Company" in the industry. Winners are chosen by people who are heavily involved in the domain name industry.
- "Best Places to Work in the Valley" 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 For the fourth consecutive year, Go Daddy is ranked as one of the Valley's Best Places to Work. The award recognizes top employers in the Phoenix-metro area. These results are based 100% on employee surveys.
- Deloitte Technology Fast 500, 2007 Go Daddy once again is recognized as one of the fastest growing, private or public, technology companies in North America based on percentage fiscal year revenue growth over five years (2002-2006). Deloitte, an accounting firm, has bestowed this honor on Go Daddy three previous years.
- 2007 "Most Innovative Company" ACE Award Go Daddy was recognized with several honors from the 2007 Arizona Corporate Excellence (ACE) Awards, including designation as the state's "Most Innovative Company." The ACE Awards contest is judged by top-ranking business leaders to recognize the significant impact of Arizona's largest privately held companies on the community and the economy. In addition to being named a leader in innovation, Go Daddy also ranked number 2 on the ACE "25 Fastest-Growing" companies list and number 20 on the ACE "Top 50" companies list.
- 2007 Name Intelligence "Users' Choice" and "Largest Net Gain" Awards Go Daddy won both the Users Choice and Largest Net Gain Awards from Name Intelligence for 2007. Go Daddy took the Users Choice Award for the third consecutive year and the Largest Net Gain for the seventh year in a row. The Users' Choice honor is based largely on user feedback, plus important customer issues like pricing, service and ease of use. Go Daddy, the world's largest domain name registrar, maintains a satisfied and loyal customer base with affordable pricing and service that are second to none. Go Daddy won the Largest Net Gain for its continued pace of growth in overall domain registrations.
- 2007 Arizona Business Leadership Award Go Daddy and CEO Bob Parsons received the 2007 Arizona Business Leadership Award. The Arizona Business Leadership Association gives the annual award to the Arizona business that best exemplifies industry leadership, financial growth, ethical conduct, community service and business education. Go Daddy has proven it's a powerhouse in the domain industry, amassing a larger portfolio than its next three competitors combined. Founder and CEO Parsons also makes large charitable contributions and acts as an industry watchdog on issues of importance to the Web, such as stopping Internet predators and phishing scams that can result in identity theft.
- 2007 Domain Name Wire Award for "Best Registrar" Go Daddy was named the "Best Registrar" in the business for the second year in a row. Domain Name Wire, a news source for the domain industry, surveys computer users each year to determine the industry leader. In both 2006 and 2007, Go Daddy was the big winner. The company got a whopping 33 percent of the votes in 2007, about one-third of the entire group that voted, despite the fact that Go Daddy has hundreds of competitors. Go Daddy's affordable prices, fantastic customer service and great security features were named factors in the decision.
- 2006 Finalist, Alfred P. Sloan Award The Alfred P. Sloan Awards for Business Excellence in Workplace Flexibility are part of When Work Works, a national project on workplace effectiveness and workplace flexibility.
- Bob Parsons - Ed Dennison Business Leader of the Year, 2005 This prestigious award is presented to an individual who contributes to Arizona's technology industry through sustained growth of their business and is announced at the annual Governor's Celebration of Innovation in Arizona
- 5-Star Rating, Review Place Known as the "go to" source for consumers who shop online, Review Place has a staff of experts who review hundreds of products and services, recommending only quality companies and Web sites. In its comments, Review Place noted "Go Daddy is a bargain deal for an excellent service."
- Ranked #8, Inc. 500, 2004 Each year, Inc. Magazine publishes the Inc. 500, a list of the nation's fastest-growing privately held companies. Of the privately held technology companies on the list, Go Daddy ranked #1.
- Users' Choice and Largest Net Gain, 2006, Name Intelligence In 2006, for the second consecutive year, Go Daddy was awarded both the Users' Choice award and the Largest Net Gain award from Name Intelligence. Go Daddy remains the world's largest Internet domain name registrar, while still maintaining a satisfied and loyal customer base with pricing and service that are second to none.
- Editor's Choice Award-Discount Domains, CNET Go Daddy has been the fastest-growing registrar for several consecutive quarters. Why so popular? In a nutshell, price and service. If you intend to forward your domain's Web traffic and email to existing Web sites and email boxes - Go Daddy offers the lowest price among ICANN-accredited registrars. The Go Daddy site is well-designed and customer friendly; the company provides a nice price upgrade path; and the support is decent, too. And let's not ignore the David-vs.-Goliath angle; Go Daddy took Network Solutions to court for predatory marketing practices and won." Source: CNET Networks, Inc. Editors' Choice Awards.
Bob Parsons' Awards
- 2011 Muhammad Ali Entrepreneur Award Go Daddy CEO and Founder Bob Parsons received the Celebrity Fight Night Muhammad Ali Entrepreneur Award during the annual charity event. Parsons, who on behalf of Go Daddy donated nearly $2.5 million to support the fight against Parkinson's disease, was honored by the "The Champ" himself.
- Ranked #11 on the Inc. 500 in 1992 and # 131 in 1993. The Inc. 500 is a listing of the fastest growing privately-held companies in the United States published by the Inc. Magazine.
- Governor's Industrial Economic Impact Award in 1993 and 1995.
- Eastern Iowa Goodwill Employer of the Year in 1994.
On his own and through GoDaddy.com, Bob supports a wide variety of charitable and community organizations.
Charities We Support
- ALS Foundation
- American Heart Association
- Arizona Humane Society
- Arizona National Guard Emergency Relief Fund
- Arizona Power Paws
- Arizona 100 Club
- Arthitis Foundation of Iowa
- Ataxia-Telangiectasia Children's Project
- Autism Speaks
- Back to School Clothing Drive
- Best Buddies - Arizona
- Camp Sunshine
- Celebrity Fight Night Charities
- Central Arizona Blue Star Moms
- Desert Botanical Gardens
- East Valley Marines
- Emily Center of Phoenix Children's Hospital
- Every Kid Counts
- Four Oaks
- Hawaii State Junior Golf Association
- HomeBase Youth Services
- Hope for Haiti
- Humane Society of Wickenburg
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Lincoln Family Downtown YMCA
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- Marine League Charities
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving
- Pancreatic Cancer Action Network
- Paws for Ability
- Philadelphia Children's Hospital
- Phoenix Public Library Foundation
- Phoenix Zoo
- Pulmonary Hypertension Association
- Salvation Army Haiti Relief Fund
- Special Olympics of Iowa
- St. Mary's Food Bank
- Ted Nugent Camp for Kids
- Teddy Bear Bunco
- Teen Lifeline
- The Crossroads
- The Wellness Community
- University of AZ - Steele Children's Research Center
- Wildhorse Ranch Rescue
- UMOM New Day Center
- 3-Day Breast Cancer Walk
2011 Total Donations through July 31st: $4,992,779
To learn more about Go Daddy's charitable efforts or submit your organization for sponsorship, visit Go Daddy Cares®.